Mist

Alles over de goden wat je wilde weten en alles wat je eigenlijk niet wilde weten

Plaats reactie
hellspawn
Site Admin

Mist

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:27

•Aliases: Lady of Change, Lady of the Sea, Goddess of Storms, Lady Doom
•Race: Human
•Worshippers: Mist draws worshippers from all races, with none being particularly dominant. Followers of Mist are, however, predominantly drawn from those who rely upon the sea or hold a particular reverence for it.
•Governs: Currents, Oceans, Rebellion, Storms, Winds
•Mantras: Arrogant, Chaotic, Destructive, Natural

"Do not attempt to control the tempest, for it is a thing to be revered in itself. Instead, revel in its untamed power, and use it to become one in spirit with me." -The first doctrine of Mist
Clerics of Mist believe in allowing nature to run rampant in all of its chaotic glory. They glory in the power of the cyclone, the ferocity of the storm, and the unpredictability of the weather. Though followers of Mist adhere to this and generally identify with such violent natural phenomena, they also respect individuals who struggle against such adversity. Those who use ingenuity and perseverance to overcome such natural adversity are highly respected by Mist's representatives.
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

hellspawn
Site Admin

Clergy Attire

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:27

Clerics of Mist wear sky-blue light armor due to their tendency to travel the seas. Of course, there are exceptions to this, with many battle clerics of Mist choosing far heavier armor. These clerics, however, tend to revere her rebellious nature and respect for the ingenuity of people, spending less time with Mist's beloved ocean. When not in armor, Mist's clerics prefer light clothing of the same color, often flamboyant in cut. Clothes are generally designed to allow fluidity of movement for themselves and the air around them. The morning star and flail are the preferred weapons of Mist’s followers. Clerics of Mist delight in their chaotic and unpredictable nature. These weapons are often enchanted with either lightning or cold; elements Mist makes frequent use of.

"Any woman who ain't high maintenance ain't worth havin." – Sal, first mate on the Lusty Bard

hellspawn
Site Admin

Hierarchy

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:30

The Mistral, as the Church of Mist is commonly called, has few official positions. At the head is the Tempest, chosen of Mist, her agent of change on Layonara. The Tempest has been chosen in a wide variety of methods. General vote, assassination, claims of divine right, manipulations of votes, getting put into office for the purposes of being manipulated, actual divine mandate—every possible way to elect someone has been tried. Only two Tempests in the history of the Mistral have been male. It is considered unlucky for a man to hold the position.
Under the Tempest are eight Tides, each very powerful and considered equals of each other. In theory. In reality, Lady Doom encourages her Tides to challenge each other, reveling in the fresh blood that this brings her Mistral. The Tides are given their position by the Tempest and are responsible for different parts of the globe, each reporting directly to the Tempest. Often, though not always, the Tides will also fill other leadership roles in the organization. The different positions are filled by the Tempest; thus, a little sucking up doesn't hurt. However, the Tempest has carte blanche to choose whomever she wishes.

The head of the Storm Bringers is called the Riptide with Crests commanding flotillas and Currents captaining the ships. The organization here is strictly hierarchical. The Riptide is chosen by the Tempest, the Waves are chosen by the Riptide, and the Currents are chosen by the Waves (not necessarily as a group, often leading to clashes over individual appointments). The Currents choose the members of their crew. For land troops, the Storm Bringer advancement structure applies.

In the Trade Winds, the Tempest also assigns the Eye of Storms who then picks her Flurries. Due to the exclusiveness of this organization, the remaining members are, like the Tides, considered to be on equal footing. Which, also like the Tides, works out to be a politically charged atmosphere.

The Voices have no leader unless they choose to rally around one of their members or the the oldest Voice of Mist, the Lyric.

Elections and Organizations

•Tempest
•Tides
◦Tide of the Northeast
◦Tide of the Southwest
◦Tide of the East
◦Tide of the Southeast
◦Tide of the Northwest
◦Tide of the North
◦Tide of the South
◦Tide of the West
•Storm Bringers
◦Riptide
•Trade Winds
◦Eye of Storms
Tempest
The Head of the Mistral, the Appointer, and the embodiment of Mist on Layonara, the Tempest has many hats to wear. She must be the strongest at her profession, the most clever, and remain in the favor of her goddess. Of all the followers, she is considered closest to the Lady of the Seas. The history of the Tempest goes back to the ascension. After the cyclone of rain, sleet, and snow swirled to the skies, a young cleric who worshiped the God of Storms, but pledged herself to Mist secretly, gathered the others. She bade them to go to all corners of the world to bring the word of the Goddess of Storms. She took the weight of the fledgling Mistral on her shoulders and became the spearhead of the new church. For her tireless work, Mist granted her the name of Tempest.

From this first woman onward, this title name supplants any the Tempest is born with. The Tempest makes the decisions of the Mistral and fills all vacancies of the highest positions. The Tempest has the full power of the Storm Bringers and the Trade Winds at her back with the support of the Voices as well. The position brings great power and is coveted. While the Mistral is not as rife with backstabbing and violence as is, say, Pyrtechon's church, certainly a Tempest would do well to keep eyes in the back of her head and her ear to the ground. The current Tempest is a human woman at the latter half of vibrant adulthood. Her champagne-colored hair has a liberal streaking of gray that matches her stormy eyes. She is never seen in anything but her long cerulean robes, and she is always barefoot.

Tides
Since before her ascension, there have been nine in the inner circle of Mist: the Tempest and the Tides. Eight women and men with different talents, agendas, and personalities. The first Tempest assigned them regions to whence they were to bring the word of Mist, the faster to sing her praises. That tradition has stuck. Along with the Tempest, it represents one of the few unchanging aspects of the Mistral. Each Tide is placed by the Tempest, but it is almost never necessary for her to remove them. Internal fighting and manipulations keep a steady turnover of these strong-willed, prismatic personalities. Tides are responsible for shrines and temples in their area as well as keeping the Tempest up to date on rivalries with other gods and their minions and political struggles that could prove beneficial to back or prevent. Tides are instructed to bring the full power of Lady Doom to the lands, demonstrating both her benevolent and unforgiving side. They recruit when they can and travel most of their tenure. It is guessed that Mist's constellation reflects her eight Tides with the deep-black center, and that they radiate around being the tidal pull of the Tempest.

Varsha: Tide of the Northeast – Varsha was next in the family line to hold the title Tide of the Southwest until her twin brother Okoth toppled their mother, Don'any, from the seat and claimed it for his own. His timing was impeccable as it occurred just as Varsha entered her year of seclusion as part of her induction to the Trade Winds. She returned from her meditations to find her mother's reputation tainted. She was enraged by the audacity of her sibling. Varsha has been groomed since birth by her ambitious family to lead the temples of Mist. To them, the rank of Tide is her birthright and her stepping stone to Tempest. Never far from her mother's side, Varsha was nurtured by the dogma of Lady Doom. Over and over she was assured by her mother that she was destined to be Tempest one day and bring glory to the family. The devotion and affection that Don'any had denied Okoth was showered upon his elder twin. This affection was not without price as Don'any was a hard taskmistress to both her daughter and her son. Okoth rebelled from his mother's interference while Varsha excelled in it.
To Varsha, the ever-present challenge to do more, understand more, and to glorify the Lady of the Sea is a contest rather than a trial. Her abilities lie more in the calling of Lady Doom's wrath in the form of the elements; her strength in hand-to-hand battle is weak. Skilled in the school of evocation, her storms are unequaled by any current Tide and very few past ones. It is this power that may have tipped the current Tempest to place her opposite her brother in the Tide of the Northeast. It may also be the current Tempest's wishes to have the siblings at each other’s throats rather than aiming for hers.

Varsha is slender and willowy and a spitting image of her mother. She has honey-colored hair and doe eyes with skin that always seems to have the tint of a blush. She is the Eye of Storms for the Trade Winds at the moment.

Okoth: Tide of the Southwest – The Lady of the Sea has been a way of life for Okoth. He is the third generation to hold the honor in the Southwest. His grandfather Aremand was first then his mother Don'any. Actually born on the seas, while his mother was officiating her Tidal duties, Okoth has been plotting against his mother and twin sister Varsha almost from the first squall that arose from his tiny lungs. Given that Okoth was male, he was not expected to rise in the temple. Add to this that Don'any was not one to give her son the easy life, and it's easy to see why she apprenticed him to a strict merchant captain when he was but ten years old. Life at sea helped him to learn to appreciate the splendor that was Mist and to respect her dominion over the waves, but it also made him bitter for the lack of parental affection that seemed to be showered upon his twin, Varsha. The seamen were a harsh bunch, and the boy learned fast how to use both his wits and his fists to protect himself.
At fourteen, his mother once again steered his course, this time sending him inland to train with a wandering cleric of Mist. This position lasted all of six weeks before the resourceful young man made his way to the nearest seaport and once again rode the waves. He pledged his way aboard a minor vessel in the Storm Bringer fleet as both seaman and acolyte. Years spent at sea hardened his heart to his interfering mother, while opening his devotion to Mist. In an act of revenge, Okoth used subterfuge, innuendo, and outright deceit to topple his mother from her position, outmaneuver his sister, and claim the Southwest as his own.

Okoth is lightweight and wiry, built for skipping along rigging but possessing the strength to wield his trusty flail with vicious results. His years at sea have darkened his skin to the point of resembling deer leather. His words are sweet and slippery and one wonders just how much of what he promises or says can be trusted.

Alaun: Tide of the East – Alaun Sur'thynria has seen the currents of change flow through many a cycle of Tides; yet, he has somehow remained constant. Never has he reached the pinnacle of power. He seems content to pull the strings from behind the scenes. Inciting his brand of chaos with a well-spoken word or slipped innuendo. His graceful, courtly manner and lively wit have made him the favorite of many a Tempest, allowing him to maintain his seat for over 200 years since he first claimed the title. His exact origins are unknown but it is rumored this powerful figure was once nothing more than a mere farm boy threshing wheat with a flail. Indeed, the flail is the weapon of choice when Alaun chooses to wield metal against his enemies over using the Al'Noth.
He is one of only a few of Lady Doom's chosen that has forsaken the sea to venerate the turbulence of the storm over land. The driving winds and rain of thunderstorms often find this elf in their midst. Arms wide to the winds, the rain pouring over his deep blue robes etched in symbols arcane and divine, he can be seen paying homage to Mist in her glory of pandemonium. As he manipulates the Al'Noth with a tutored hand, lightning crashes to the ground at his command. All the while, he calls Lady Doom for her grace to cleanse the land and renew it with her chaos.

Alaun is in the full bloom of elven adulthood with glossy teak-colored hair that he wears longer than fashionable. He is sturdy for an elf with a hint of love handles.

Cassandra: Tide of the Southeast – "I remember my mother telling of icy polar winds whipping sleet against the windows of the lighthouse my family kept the eve I came screaming into this world. It was apparent from that moment that I was different. Our family, the Dubannets, had been Keepers of the Light at Snake Head Bay for over five centuries. They are also human; my features are anything but. As I grew, the slant of my cheekbones and fine-boned frame were all too apparent, to the shame of my mother, Lillian, and the anger of my father. A tryst with a passing sailor had left a blight on the family name, one both I and my mother were constantly reminded of. I grew up alone and unwanted. I came to love the companionship of the wind and waves. Sailors would bring supplies but also tales of Lady Doom, The Goddess of Storms. I would haunt the dock, listening to them, reveling in the wildness of her nature. I'm not sure when, perhaps as I drew closer to puberty, but I began to devote my life to the Lady of the Sea. I built a shrine in a private childhood haunt and prayed there.
Despite my mother having borne him two healthy human sons, my father never forgave my mother, often making her the object of his drunken rages. One night as the wind howled outside the walls, father once again taunted mother. In a show of will I didn't know I had, I stood up to the brute. I was so angry I could not see straight. He turned his fists on me, calling me a bastard and a disgrace. He chased me up the steps and out onto the deck overlooking the sea. I remember angry waves and cold winds driving the water onto the rocks below. Just as he reached me, sodden and enraged, an enormous surge swept him from the deck and onto the rocks below. I remember saying a prayer of thanks to Lady Doom for the timely wave, and I headed back inside only to be met with furious accusations from my brothers and mother. Stunned and hurt, I fled in the storm to my only haven, the sea and my personal shine to Mist.

The morning brought calm to the waters but also a rim of destruction. A ship was tossed to the rocks because there was no Keeper of the Light the night my father died. I scoured the wreck and found three things: a mace of shining metal, a purse of gold, and a small amulet engraved in Elven. The mace I made my own. The gold I used to buy my way aboard a merchant ship. And the amulet hangs around my neck as a reminder of the cleansing power of the storm. I made my way from ship to ship, port to port, living off my wits and the grace of Mist. My elven features combined with my long wavy hair and ice-blue eyes made me a target of many a sailor’s advances. However, the remembrance and pain of my family's betrayal keeps me from reciprocating. That's why they call me the Ice Princess, I suppose. The name has stuck, ironically, since I call on the sleet that heralded my entry into this world to send many an enemy target out of it.

My appointment as Tide of the Southeast came as a surprise to many—most of all to me—but the Tempest, in her wisdom, knows things that I and others do not. And I will see to my responsibilities with all the fury of the winds and rain that Mist desires of me."

Murray: Tide of the Northwest – Murray Areson was born as third son to the chief of a small band of Krashin barbarians. The band may have been small, but it was well respected within its territorial boundaries. Third in line for any chance to succeed his sire, Murray fell to the way of arms to prove himself to his family and his people. Succession within his tribe was as much a right of might as it was birth. While other warriors chose to wield the blade, Murray’s hand was more at ease with the swing of a morningstar. The young warrior reveled in the chaos of battle and did well. His fierceness earning him a reputation as one not to cross, a reputation that some say might have won him his tribe’s leadership had the sea not called to his blood.
Murray joined a band of warriors bent on raiding the shores of Mistone. It was his first time on the water, even having been raised on an Isle that reveres the seafarer way of life. It was as if Mist called him personally. The first night out of sight of land the seas heaved and rolled as the might of Lady Doom tossed the vessel about like a toy in a tub. While other sailors took cover in their berths, Murray joined the vessel's cleric on the bow as he paid homage to the Lady of the Sea. In interim years, Murray learned the ways of the oceans and the crafts that sail upon them. His reverence for Lady Doom helped him to turn the tide of battle as his small fleet became his new tribe. His reputation is that of a fierce, untamed spirit that roams the oceans in search of adventure and plunder in the name of Mist. The flagship of his small fleet is the Temptation.

The chiseled hard features of the raven-haired man that captains her can often been seen off the bow giving homage to Lady Doom. It is said that his promotion to Tide of the Northwest was more by way of charming the current Tempest than it was the services of his morningstar.

Yashilla: Tide of the North – Yashilla's story of ascension into the hierarchy of the church begins with her leaving her father's merchant ship at a young age. The start of her days as one of Mist's clerics found her young and eager to impress. In her early days, she often sought to bring the good of Mist's powers to the lands of Layonara. An older and wiser Yashilla has taken to focusing herself on the path of her faith. She often seeks the answer to what it means to be more in tune with Mist. The hierarchy of the faith is full of competition and strife. Yashilla was still fairly new to the faith when her first challenge came. Her test of faith was to choose between her impressions of what the faithful of Mist should exemplify and the good she personally chose to portray and what it means to actually serve the faith. Yashilla was forced to decide between her sense of morals and the Mistral. She chose faith—at great cost. After her part in the death of Carocsa, supposed avatar of Shindaleria, Yashilla held a unique position in the church. Her status with the Tempest and Mist had been elevated. When time had advanced along with Yashilla's own personal talents, the Tempest called her to finish what she had started. Her next task would set her place in the faith amongst the Tides. The war between Shindaleria and Mist has always raged, and a then-unknown falsehood spurred the Tempest to strike out at the underwater temples of Shildelaria and lay to waste any claims to the sea that the Mother Ocean had. It was the former Tide of the North, Meghanna, who gave the false sense of security to the Tempest to strike out against Shindaleria's followers beneath the waters. Yashilla’s role was to serve as a general, scout out a tactical plan, amass an army, and lead the march against Shindaleria's faith. The assault was a miserable failure. Yashilla's capacity to focus on the task at hand was always distracted by her concern with Meghanna's ulterior motives. Meghanna's ambitions were not well hidden and Yashilla found herself forced to make a decision— whether to continue to march ahead and let the hierarchy of Mist's faith take on new leadership or preserve the current leadership at the cost of a successful assault and potential crippling blow to Shindaleria's faith. Yashilla chose to preserve the current Tempest in power and exposed Meghanna. Meghanna was driven off and, with a vacancy amongst the Tides, Yashilla has been given the role of the Tide of the North.

Qualn: Tide of the South – Qualn was born into a traveling halfling family during a powerful spring gale 129 years ago. Her mother, Celoreaux, was the storyteller for the group. Every year on Qualn's birthday, Celoreaux would tell the story of the massive storm that rocked the lands the night of her birth. Qualn would sit wide-eyed and hope that she would someday see such a storm as the one her mother described; alas, year after year passed with clear skies. Time moved on for the family and finally it was the night before Qualn’s 20th birthday. Her mother had planned a huge celebration for her as it would be her first as an adult. She took the family to Huangjin and hired the finest bards for the celebration. During the whole trip, she instructed Qualn on how to draw people into a story and captivate them; for tomorrow, Qualn would tell her own tale as the next storyteller for the family. Celoreaux planned to employ the services of a merchant ship to take the family to Mistone the day after the birthday festivities for fresh trading and performing opportunities.
The sun shone bright on the morning of her birthday and Qualn was most disappointed by it. The day passed as any other but as the night approached the air became still and heavy. As the family prepared for the party and the bards gathered, a group of bandits took this opportunity to attack the small troupe. They fought with all their hearts but the bandits pushed them back relentlessly. One stood with his blade to young Qualn's throat, grinning as he began to push it slowly into the soft flesh of her neck. Qualn squeezed her eyes shut as she felt the blood trickle onto her collar. Her world became spangles and darkness, and she slipped into unconsciousness. As she lay, sticky with her blood and fighting the urge to just let go, the winds began to rise around her and the rain started a steady torrent. She opened one eye to see a blue-robed woman standing over her. The woman shushed her and said there would come a time when her service would be needed. The prophecy of the storm would be fulfilled. The woman left and the storm raged over the entire night.

The next morning, the sun shone again through the clouds and the birds sang as if the night's storm had never happened. Qualn looked about to find the bodies of several family members and a few of the bards from the celebration that never occurred. Frantically, she searched for her mother and found her badly cut and humiliated from the bandit's treatment, but alive. She lowered her lids, placed her storm-chapped hands on her mother’s wounds, and prayed to the memory of the lady in blue. At this moment, Qualn channeled the healing powers of the Goddess of Storms. Booking charter on a ship to Mistone, Qualn never disembarked with her mother. She instead chose to remain on board and hone her skills as a ship's healer and learn all she could of Mist. Over the years she grew in power, and became a good-luck omen to the sailors of the ships she traveled on. On a warship docked in Leringard, the lady in blue found her again, and offered her the position of Tide. Qualn recognized the Tempest, and accepted her role as Tide with determination. Her debt of many years past binds her in honor from usurping the Tempest’s power.

Nasha: Tide of the West – Nasha was born in the city of Seacove to two very loving mercantile parents. She would work her days in the store and spend the night at the beach gazing out over the ocean, honing her skills to aid the animals and the lands. Her parents could see that her path was going to take her away from their little trade so they simply bided their time with her and utilized her presence as often as possible. Through diligent practice, Nasha became a skilled druid and eventually decided that it was time to leave home and perfect her skills elsewhere. She packed her bags and set up a deal with one of the suppliers to her parents' little store to leave with him on his next visit.
Finally, the day arrived for her to set out. She grabbed her belongings and bade her parent's farewell. She would be sailing to Mistone and working as a healer on the boat to pay her fare. As fate had it, however, the ship never made Port Hempstead. Storms rose and tossed the little merchant vessel about, smashing the hull against giant waves. Her saving grace was her skill as a druid; she turned herself into a fish and swam to shore. There, she found a man from the ship standing unscathed. Clearly he possessed no affinity for shifting. Nasha's curiosity peaked, she asked him how he had survived. The man revealed he was a priest of Mist. He told her of how chaotic furies of Lady Doom had blessed him to safety, and as he told his tale, she was captivated. From that point forward she learned as much as she could about Mist while still fulfilling her duties as a druid. Her devotions to Mist were borne on the same love she had of nature; the ever-changing, the always new. Her resourcefulness and ability to shift forms on a whim caught the Tempest's eye and she was placed as the Tide of the West, a duty she intends to fulfill for ages to come.

Nasha is now a middle-aged woman, with a sparkle in her hazel eyes and salt-and-pepper hair. She carries herself as a much younger woman would, and delights in the changes each new day brings.

Storm Bringers
During the whirlwinds of the Cataclysm, naval battles raged across the seas. The first Riptide appeared in the wake of this early time in Mist's history. Trauden, Tide of the North, rode the chaos of the waves as the most skilled captain and most clever sailor seen yet. The oceanic instincts and cunning of this man echo on Mist's ships even now. He assembled a fleet that represented a considerable naval might, and he called them the Storm Bringers. Since their inception, they have served as major powers in the war with the elves, waged war against Shindilaria's forces, lent aid to battles of allies, more than once acted as paid mercenaries in other folk's wars, and spread the word of the Lady of Seas. The military might of Mist also lies within this elite group. The Storm Bringers comprise both land and naval forces, but the naval ones are by far the more advanced and prestigious. Beyond the armada are the ground forces, also called Storm Bringers. They have slightly different nomenclature and different traditions than the shipdogs. Independent Wave commanders (Crests) answer to the Riptide.
Those that captain the ships are called Currents, and at the bottom of the organization ladder are the Eddys, forming the bulk of the sailing crews. Initiates or the youngest or least experienced crew members are not given a name until they can prove themselves as Eddys. On land, a Crest will still answer only to the Riptide, but under him are Gales (commanders) with the support of Squalls (captains), and Zephyrs as the grunts.

The Storm Bringers are not aligned with any current government structure; they come together at the call of the Tempest or act in smaller groups as the Riptide command. Banding together only in times of need, helps to keep this force of fierce warriors and sailors from self-destructing due to their strongly independent natures. When not serving the direct interests of Mist, these fleets usually default to the trades of privateer and mercenaries. Very few are merchant-oriented, excepting the few vessels that act as slave transports. The number and placement of Wave and Gale crests varies greatly. In chaotic times, there may be as many as a dozen and less than five when the political winds are calm.

The proud naval traditions of the Rohden Alliance are rooted deep in this force. Many of that kingdom's finest officers had their start on a Storm vessel, and rumors abound that many a high-ranking official secretly serve as Crests. Notable as well are sightings of fleets off Vanavar's coast, and there are known bases in Sloren and Seacove. Storm Bringers harbor all over Layonara with some of the more prominent ones out of Leringard, Mariner's Hold, and Audira. The isles and coves of Krashin have also served as bases to the organization. Since Krashin is home to the current Riptide, there is always a good chance that the Temptation is anchored in some secluded bay waiting to pounce.

•Riptide
The rank of Tempest may be the realm of the women of Mist, but the Riptide is the only post that is invariably male and often filled by a Tide; although this is not a requirement. It is also supposed (although not yet proven) that the Riptide acts, at least occasionally, as an actual consort to Mist. If any of the men who have filled these considerable shoes in the past know for sure, however, they're not telling. Murray, Tide of the Northwest, currently heeds the call and provides the direction as Lady Doom's Riptide with his small armada and command vessel, the Temptation.

Trade Winds
Simply known as the Winds, this select group is both admired and feared. The distinct cerulean blue of their robes (or plate in the case of those divinely called) and the intricate silver scrolling of the Al'Noth bound to them, make these casters a feared sight to many an enemy commander. Theirs is the power of the storm. Long and arduous studies in the graces of Lady Doom make these storm callers terrifying in their control of the elements. Training often begins shortly after the first shows of arcane talent or divine calling. The test of the calling is a period of seclusion, which occurs in the year preceding the new Wind's emergence into the ranks; in this seclusion, the initiate (often called Drafts, though this is considered derogatory) are required to walk alone, without support of family or friends, and brave and best every situation they come across. The number of Winds is small, generally less than two dozen, although when chaos abounds the ranks may grow accordingly. The upper echelons of this sect are legendary in their skill and Mist's favor.
The leader is called the Eye of Storms, and her assistants are called Flurries. When an Eye of Storms is called to battle, often the battle will be over before it begins. Tactics of the Eye and the Flurries include wearing down opposing forces with constant bad weather, making formerly passable roads unpassable due to rains or mudslides, and stirring up local hostiles to bleed down supplies and decimate moral. In more peaceable times, it is rumored the Winds evoke the cleansing of the land, bringing storms to raze the forest allowing younger trees to grow out of the shadows of older ones, and heavy downpours to stir up and soak the earth, the better for planting. Varsha, Tide of the Northeast is the current Eye of Storms.

hellspawn
Site Admin

Sects

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:30

The Voices of Mistunder
The Voices stay current with their brethren through shrines and temples, and the stories of folk who have heard them perform. The travel the northern lands safely knowing they are valued guests, for they bring news of the world. Down south they are not as often so lucky, for the southlanders hold little regard for tradition, honor, and hospitality – or so the Krashinites say. Few as they are, these traveling heralds of Mist seldom meet, but when they do the world seems to explode in a flurry of games, song and drinking. Then, as suddenly as it came, the storm of activity departs, for though they are brothers and sister to each other, their nature sets their course apart.
Voices are predominantly skalds and minstrels, but others with a talent for storytelling and (rarely) dance are seen among them. They are usually friendly people who like to talk and pass the time. But as peaceful as they are when in friendly company, they are twice again that dangerous when they enter combat; their songs are often lumped together and called the Fury of Mist for the battle prowess it gives the Voices and their allies. The Voices are most often trained by other Voices, but a few have training as well as talent before they join.

When a Voice comes to a settlement he or she will be open to take an apprentice if anyone with suitable talent and dedication approaches. The Voice will never ask anyone to apprentice; one should seek out one's desires, not accept an offer from obligation. If a Voice takes an apprentice they will travel together for several years until the Voice thinks the apprentice skilled enough in combat and singing to manage without assistance. They will then travel to a temple of Mist where the new Voice is set before a panel of two priests and a third Voice who grills the applicant about Mist and Her ways. The applicant must also perform a song in their own words praising Lady Doom. If the priests deem the answers good and the Voice finds the hymn pleasing, they will then bestow the title of Voice of Mist upon the applicant. It is then that they become a full member of the Order with the right to take apprentices of their own. Such an event as this is always celebrated amongst the Voices for they have gained a new member, and the festivities are not to be missed.

Grimhildur "Silver Ears" is the current Lyric of Mist. He's likely to hold that title for at least another century, as he is of full moon elf blood and one of the very few to have been born in the Northern Islands. He tells a tale with such skill and panache that kings have wept and legends (or at least he) tell of once holding a demon captive to his story. He is aged at nearly six hundred years old, now barely five feet tall with deep lines on his narrow but friendly face. His age is no deterrent to his chasing the ladies, however; his reputation as a flirt is nearly as entrenched as his love of gambling and bawdy poetry.

Mehganna
Mehganna was raised in the coastal city of Miriach on Vanavar many years before the attack by Xandrial. She loved the coastal city and spent much of her time gazing out over the ocean and waiting for the trade ships to come. The sailors taught her much of the powers of Mist. In time, she came to respect the power of the storm and the pure destructive energy that it brought with it. A few years before the woe of Xandrial befell the island, Mehganna bade her parents farewell and signed on to a trade ship to travel and see the world while perfecting her piety to Mist. She made fast friends with the sailors, helping them defend against pirate sieges and offering blessings to Lady Doom for their passage. She was a fickle creature, however. For most of the voyage she would stay in her room below deck, only coming up if her divine talents were needed or to relish in the rage of the sea. One day, the news came on the winds that her home had been attacked by Pit Dwellers. She left the sailors, returning home immediately only to find her history in wreckage. She knelt and swore on the dirt of what was left of her home that she would one day have revenge on those responsible.

After that day, any pleasantness left in her was gone. Mehganna spent each day training and paying homage to Mist and seeking her revenge. Striving for greatness, she overtook one of the Tides and claimed the title for her own with the grace of the Tempest. She then plotted against the Tempest with her cunning eyes firmly planted on the top seat and the military and maritime power it represents. Yashilla Menneseph, an up-andcoming cleric, got wind of her schemes while assisting her in a battle against one of Shindaleria's temples. Yashilla put her loyalty behind the current Tempest and Meghanna was forced to flee. Her whereabouts remain unknown, but recently rumors have been floating in on the winds that Meghanna is gathering power for a counter strike against the Tempest. There is some concern that she is planting agents inside the Mistral organizations for a pincer movement. No one has been found to be loyal to her, but she may be employing magical means to prevent detection of her agents.

hellspawn
Site Admin

Temples

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:31

Temples of Mist tend to be situated near the ocean—open to the sea breeze where possible. Buildings appear light and delicate, but always contain hidden strength sufficient to withstand any unexpected storm. The whole interior is usually bathed in a subtle blue light, and visitors can always feel moisture and the tang of the sudden storm biting against their skin. Pools of water are common and are often found placed at seemingly random intervals throughout the complex, though many speculate that there is reason in such seemingly odd placements.

Shrine of Gales
Located out on the water near the Leringard docks, the Shrine of Gales is the largest permanent structure to Mist currently standing. There was once a larger temple near the Mountain of Storms, and there are rumors that another temple may be built on Dregar, but for now, the Shrine stands alone as the only structure large enough to host festivals and big gatherings.
Like most of the smaller representations and the shrines, the Shrine of Gales is mostly open to the elements. The amphitheater where the Voices perform during celebrations is likewise open, inviting Lady Doom to express her joy at her faithful with storms and thundershowers.

hellspawn
Site Admin

Prayers & Holy Days

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:31

Prayers
"Mist, may I draw my spirit's strength from the sea,
may my spirit be as free as the sea is boundless,
may I be untamed as your storms,
and may I find my strength in them
that I may be more in tune with you."
– Yashilla Menneseph, Tide of the North

Devotees of Mist prefer a driving storm to pray in or, at the very least, a nice heavy rain. It is not uncommon for a Trade Wind or a Voice of Mist to summon a storm before kneeling, the more to please the Lady of Seas. There is no set time of day for prayers; whatever suits the one doing the praying. One exception is prayer to Mist for good sailing weather. These pleas are usually done in favorable weather with the hopes for more.
Holy Days
The one day celebrated by Mist followers everywhere is the day of her ascension. However, since no one knows what day this actually is, it is celebrated each successive day per year. The constantly changing date pleases Mist and makes the celebration different depending on the time of year and supplies available. In addition, any serious storm event—hurricane, tornado, tsunami, blizzard—will bring together followers of Lady Doom for a party in her name.

hellspawn
Site Admin

Allies & Enemies

Bericht door hellspawn » 11-02-2011 21:32

•Allied:

◦Corath
◦Ilsare

•Friendly:

◦Beryl
◦Lucinda
◦Pyrtechon